We are ONE BBC with a purpose to inform, educate and entertain
Salary + benefits, 35hrs a week hybrid working and a great work life balance so you can work in a way that works for you
Always making a New Year resolution to look for a new role but never press send?
Well it’s time you take a chance on yourself and bag a new career @ the BBC. Embrace your workplace purpose with us.
We’re on the hunt for engineers for junior Midweight to experienced midweight engineers with creativity to join our team!
· We’ll take your promise and transform you; offering clear opportunities for professional development and career growth.
· We know you’re not the finished article. We totally get that you’ll come from a multitude of different disciplines and career pathways. So if you’ve got the passion and the gusto why not give it a go.
Who we are, what we do and were we’re going
We are Jupiter and we provide broadcast critical software solutions for the creators of content across the BBC. Here web technologies intersect with broadcast technologies and we make BBC News content happen by enabling the software used by content producers to broadcast and share news all around the world. It’s awesome to meet you!
We’re underway to further modernise and exploit technology and new ways of working. With our laser focus on our audience, together with the rest of the team we’ll connect and tell powerful stories and document and archive them for generations to come.
Yours is a vital role as you safeguard our reputation for excellence. You’ll help create team goals and objectives, contribute feature ideas and discuss the future direction of the product, and give input in retrospectives on how we are performing as a team and what we can do to improve. In this way you instil confidence in our audience that they’re able to access and consume News content fast, efficiently and cross-platform.
Our Jupiter team works in an agile way and comprises of a unique mix of front-end, back-end and broadcasting expertise. We are a highly collaborative team. We value our staff, and offer regular training and development opportunities, as well as ‘innovation time’ – allowing dedicated time for self-improvement, learning and innovation.
We take the time to reflect and improve our work through team retrospectives and individual mentoring. We are a hard-working team that is supportive and care about each other, while also promoting a healthy work-life balance. We offer opportunities for flexible working and a friendly working environment.
Are you that somebody?
Here are the skills we are looking for, you may have experience of some, but not necessarily all of them:
- Real-world Java development, ideally in the context of microservices (Spring Boot) architecture
- Ability to rapidly acquire new software skills and work with new technologies
- A good understanding of web development technologies – HTTP/HTTPS, REST
- Demonstrable understanding of Test and Behaviour Driven Development
- A track record of producing maintainable code within collaborative environments
Other desirable skills are:
- Knowledge of Kubernetes, Ansible and Docker
- Familiarity with development tools – Linux, Git, Gradle
- Knowledge of relational database design and querying concepts – SQL
- Knowledge of video formats/video processing
- Experience working with Cloud based infrastructure, preferably AWS
What’s in it for you?
- An employer pension contribution of up to 10%.
- Annual leave 26 days, (based on your working pattern 1 of which is a corporation day) + bank holidays of course with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
- Family friendly flexible working arrangements, such as hybrid working, job sharing, flexi-time and compressed hours.
- Learning and development tailored to your role this could include industry recognised qualifications, coaching and mentoring.
- An inclusive and diverse environment with opportunities to join staff networks including: Women’s Network, National Disability Networks and many more.
This job role may be suitable for hybrid working, which is where an employee works part of the week in their BBC office and part of the week from home. This is a voluntary, non-contractual arrangement and your office will be your contractual place of work. The number of days that anyone will be able to work at home will be determined primarily by business need but personal circumstances and other relevant circumstances will also be taken into account. If you are successful, any opportunities for hybrid working, including whether a hybrid working arrangement is suitable for you, will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post.
ABOUT THE BBC
Here at the BBC we take Diversity and Inclusion very seriously. We live and breathe this not only because it’s the right approach but also because of the vast array of our worldwide audiences. It’s critical that we get this right.
Here is what we do in action:-
- We have quiet reflection rooms (multi-faith rooms)
- We have a Diversity and Inclusion department
- We have Employee networks for different diverse groups and communities and protected characters
- We have Mental Health first aiders
- We offer Diversity and Inclusion training (Unconscious Bias, Disability awareness)
- We have dedicated slack channels for support, awareness on Mental health & DE&I
- We actively select for individuals who may align to our values, particularly regarding diversity, equity and inclusivity. Therefore, DE&I is a topic covered by our interview process.
Please feel free to email email@example.com for further help with your application! We’re excited to meet you!
To apply for this job please visit careerssearch.bbc.co.uk.