Website Butternut Box
At Butternut, our mission is to deliver health and happiness to
📣 A bit about the role.
As part of the Product Engineering team, you will work closely with engineers, product managers, designers and stakeholders to help solve our customers’ problems and directly impact their (and their dog’s) daily lives. In this role, you’ll be leading one of our tribes, which is a group of independent squads centered around a general theme (E.g Growth).
In this role, you can expect to:
- Help your team deliver features on time while considering aspects like maintainability and reliability.
- Contribute to the architecture and development direction of the teams to ensure quality code is written and excellent products are built.
- Work closely with Product Managers and designers on the teams to define efficient, scalable processes and procedures to ensure the team is working as effectively as possible.
- Help manage members of your team and help them grow and develop at Butternut through feedback, motivation, guidance and mentorship.
- Hire engineers into your teams, ensuring we are constantly improving the performance of the team.
- Collaborate, learn with, and give feedback to other team members via pair programming, mentoring, code reviews, and technical talks.
- Learn about and champion best practices in code, architecture & processes.
- Spend around 10% of your time coding to keep your skills sharp and help contribute to the team’s goals.
Here are some of the projects the team have worked on recently:
- Enabling international expansion by adapting our systems for other currencies and languages.
Helping customers better resolve issues with their deliveries themselves through a self-serve platform that looks great and is easy to use.
- Building a new onboarding flow to make sure new customers feel at home with Butternut Box.
Finally, we score 12/12 on the Pragmatic Engineer Test, a checklist of things that define a great engineering culture:
Equity or profit sharing ✅
Roadmap/backlog that engineers contribute to. ✅
Engineers directly working with other Individual Contributors. ✅
Code reviews and testing. ✅
CI and engineers pushing to prod. ✅
Internal open source. ✅
Healthy on-call as a priority. ✅
Technical managers. ✅
Career ladder. ✅
Parallel IC & manager tracks. ✅
Feedback culture. ✅
Investing in professional growth. ✅
👋 A bit about you.
Relevant commercial experience, with experience in management of engineers and a passion for helping them grow.
An interest in constantly learning new tools and developing your skills.
A true motivation to ship customer-facing products.
Pro-active, driven, entrepreneurial ‘can do’ attitude.
Comfortable in a fast-paced environment.
Passion for startups.
Obsessed with dogs!
🐶 A bit about us.
At Butternut, we put the food back into dog food. We believe dogs deserve to eat the healthiest, most natural and tastiest food with none of the nasties. That’s why we make freshly prepared dog food. Cooked like you would at home. Delivered in perfect portions.
Our goal is to help dogs live healthier, happier and longer lives whilst leaving humans smiling after every interaction. We’ve come a long way since our co-founders (Kev & Dave) hand-delivered the first Butternut Box, we now feed a lot of dogs across the UK – but we want to feed dogs everywhere. And to do this, we need a team of brilliant people who share that ambition to come and work with us.
Finally, we’ve got lots of photos of the dogs we feed on Instagram and can find out more about what working at Butternut is like on our Glassdoor (99% would recommend working at Butternut to a friend!)
🙌 A bit about what we offer.
25 days holiday (plus 8 bank holidays) and an additional day for every year of service
£500 personal learning & development budget
Co-working office space
Butternut Box employee discount
Cycle to work scheme
Pension with NEST
Flexible working hours and work from home options
Weekly ‘lunch and learns’
Friday drinks and monthly team socials
Lots of office dogs (Apple, Chambo, Willow, Pugwash, Bella, Gizmo, River, Pip and many more….)
We have big plans to grow over the next few years so it is an exciting time to be joining Butternut Box. You will have the opportunity to play a crucial role in developing the products that will define our future. This role is for someone who is hungry for that challenge.
❗️A few things to note:
- We aim to respond to all applicants personally.
- Butternut Box is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity and inclusion. We welcome people of different nationalities, backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
- We’re not afraid of putting extra weight on candidates from underrepresented groups. We want strong, diverse teams built from different backgrounds, experiences, and identities. We’re ready for the ongoing work that goes into building an inclusive, supportive place for you to do the best work of your career.
- As our business has grown so has our responsibility to our community, our planet and our business. We are not perfect, but we are committed to doing business the right way and continually improving our social and environmental performance.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.