We are Lick
Our Mission is to be the definitive community-powered brand that builds decorating confidence by inspiring and supporting all decorators with their projects.
Lick is a community-powered decorating movement. We are a force for change in the home decor space with a vision to transform the industry for our decorators and for the planet.
We’re a business that believes in building confidence in our decorators. Seeing their bright ideas and making them happen. We aim to reinvent the home decor category by – putting our decorators at the heart of what we do, by providing better quality more sustainable products, and providing inspiration and support through innovative content and technology.
It’s why we curate a selection of paints, wallpapers and blinds which means they don’t come in all the colours but THE colours. It’s why we have an expert team of colour consultants on hand to help with any decorating question, big or small. It’s why we’re building a supportive community of decorators to inspire each other with their projects, and why we think it is vital to build a world-class product and engineering team to rethink how we deliver this through our platform and customer experience.
Because we know that a small change in colour can have a huge impact on the way we feel.
Decorator success starts at home…our home. That is why we are also on a mission to be the definitive people-powered company. Building an environment where individuals thrive and collectively transform an entire category.
About the company
The home decor brand was founded in 2019 by Lucas London and Sam Bradley – both experienced startup entrepreneurs – targeting the $1trillon global home decor market. The business has raised over $29m since inception. OMERS Ventures lead our Series A round in June 2021 with participation from existing investors Felix Capital and contributions from entrepreneurs and PE investors including Magnus Rausing, Alex Chesterman and Kathaka, the family office of Caroline Rupert of Richemont. Our sights are set on scale, this means expanding our product offering, launching new sustainability initiatives, and growing our already thriving community of home decorators across the globe.
About The Role
With huge early traction, we are in the process of significant investment into our technology team lead by our newly appointed Chief Technology Officer, Simon Lockyer, and our Principle Engineer, Joel Pierre-Powell, we are a small diverse team that is rapidly scaling. The investment is focused on building a world class technology team that will push the boundaries of what is possible in e-commerce.
We are looking for a full time, highly-skilled Software Engineer, to help build out our core technical product offerings. Reporting directly to our Principle Software Engineer, you will be executing our ambitious roadmap and redefining the future of the home decor space.
This role will give you the opportunity to build both internal and external products. Every day is different, as we continue to build out our user experience, super charge our event driven architecture and prepare for launching internationally as well as helping with optimising internal operations. We would love to hear from you if you are passionate about best practice methodologies, cutting-edge technology and funnel optimisation.
Our Tech Stack
We currently have a mono repo driven by Lerna for all our applications. Our front end application is built using NextJS, we also utilise TypeScript, React, Styled Components and our API is built on ExpressJS. To supercharge our system we leverage serverless functions with event queues to drive all our integrations. This is all supported by AWS, Terraform and CircleCI.
To maintain quality throughout our applications we employ the use of Jest and React Testing Library for our unit testing. We are also building out our functional testing framework with Cypress.
The heart of our technology is our E-commerce layer, built upon Shopify’s headless StoreFront API and GraphCMSs headless CMS API. To maintain quality and showcase our work we use Storybook to build out our UI components using atomic design principles.
- You will assist in the code management process all through QA, UAT, versioning, deployment and consistently audit and refactor this code to ensure stability and improve performance
- You will be a contributor to our codebase and and consistently assist in the software process through QA, UAT, versioning, deployment
- Core contributor in delivering projects and KPIs on-time. Writing high-quality, well-tested code and delivering features, autonomously, seeing projects through to completion
- Develop new features and improve existing ones, considering all users in the process, whether they be internal (e.g content or operations teams) or consumers
Work closely with product and UX/UI to ensure requirements are met from a user experience and technical point of view
- Ensure we are fostering an environment of discovery and innovation, contributing to evolving what we do and ensuring it is best in class
- Contribute to architectural decisions as it relates to the current task and wider impact on the scalability of the applications we build
- Help design, execute and scale our event-driven micro services architecture
- Take ownership in the tools and technology we use as a company with our Principle Engineer
- Guide and mentor more junior members of the software engineering team
- Ensure quality is maintained across all our technology systems
- Ensure all important technical decisions are documented and shared across the department
The experience we are looking for:
- Experience with delivering scalable, distributed, cloud-based systems in a highly available manner
- Familiar with functional programming
- Strong understanding of different software engineering practices, infrastructure, and how each can help deliver more value to users
- Previous experience in other startups (bonus)
- Experience/Familiar with atomic design patterns
- Experience using JIRA, Asana, or equivalent work-flow tools
Qualities we’re looking for:
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, start-up environment, as well as collaborating with a remote software engineering team
- You have a continuous improvement mindset, constantly seeking to reduce waste and avoid re-work
- You are a self-driven engineer, experienced with working independently, but can also work as a part of a team
- You love to learn and are results driven
- You care about your end users whether they be internal or external
- Excellent communication and organisational skills
- You are passionate about clean and appropriately tested code
- Strong analytical and critical thinking
- Competitive salary and opportunity to earn equity options grants.
- You’ll get the first-hand experience of being part of and growing with high growth, super early stage, fast-moving, and ambitious company.
- 26 days holiday (including your birthday off) + bank holidays, with a relaxed approach.
- Option to work remotely from anywhere in the world for 1 month each year.
- Generous allowance for Lick products.
- Private pension scheme, salary sacrifice benefits (i.e. cycle to work)
- Relaxed work from home policy / use the office when/if you like with (some set days each month which you will agree with your manager)
- A growth-focused team, you will enjoy our monthly Expert Knowledge Shares and bespoke interior design training programs.
- Contribute to building and scaling a culture where wellbeing is part of how we do things, not just a bonus.
- Lots of amazing opportunities to get to know other members of the team at our team lunches, socials and offsite and have an impact on our culture through our
- Wellbeing Board and Diversity Board and beyond.
- A proactive approach to creating a working environment that supports/reflects our team member’s unique personal needs.
- You are hopefully reading this and thinking I can’t wait to be part of the team that makes this even better as the company grows 😉
To apply for this job please visit apply.workable.com.