Working to solve our climate crisis is the most critical mission of our time and the most exciting problem to be working on in tech. If you are a full-stack developer who wants to have a real impact, join our talented, passionate team.
Overstory’s mission is to help solve our climate crisis by providing real-time intelligence about the planet’s vegetation. In our first step toward this mission, we are applying machine learning to satellite imagery to track forests and vegetation, helping to reduce the risk of wildfires and power outages. We’re a seed-stage startup backed by top climate tech investors, including Pale Blue Dot, Powerhouse Ventures, Techstars, and Futuristic VC. With a dozen paying clients (e.g. Red Eléctrica de España and a Finnish utility Suur-Savon Sähkö), we have already proven our business model, and we’re all united behind our ambitious vision to scale this model up to help humanity and the planet.
We’re looking for a full-stack developer to help us build our product. You’ll work closely with a small, dedicated team to build this business so that it has a giant impact on the world. We’ve spent a lot of time perfecting our machine learning models, and now it’s time to make them applicable to a broader audience by creating a product around them.
We are a remote-first company: we have an office in Amsterdam, but our team is distributed across Europe (Amsterdam, Lisbon, London, Milan, The Hague). Ideally, you’re in a time zone +/- 1 hour from CET.
About the role
Working closely with our Full-Stack Developer Angela and Product Designer Mathias you will be part of a small team, building and maintaining web applications and data visualizations that enable non-technical users to leverage the complex models we build. As an example, you might build an interactive map component that visualizes vegetation at risk of wildfires in a way that allows our customers to make business decisions. You will work in an agile manner, learning from our customers, iterating quickly, and deciding when to build for a scalable future and when to hack it together.
- Knowledge of front-end technologies and browser APIs.
- Experience working with databases and building backend APIs optimized for serving large amounts of data efficiently.
- Ability to work in a flexible manner, supporting the team in building prototypes quickly, and evolving these into scalable production-quality systems.
- Clear oral and written communication skills.
Nice to haves
- Experience working at an early-stage startup.
- Knowledge of design/cartography, GIS technologies, and standards (e.g. GeoJSON, vector tiles).
- Experience working with a web mapping framework such as Mapbox, Kepler.gl, Leaflet.
What you get
- Generous stock options and competitive salary.
- To be a part of truly mission-driven work that reduces wildfires, protects earth’s natural resources, and reverses climate change.
- Flexible working environment with a lot of autonomy. We build our workdays around our lives, not the other way around.
- The chance to build something from scratch and put your mark on it. Creating a product that solves real climate-related problems — one that is fast and a joy to use — is the exciting opportunity.
- To be surrounded by an excellent, vibrant, smart team who have each other’s back and believe in a culture of openness, tolerance, and respect.
Diversity & Inclusion
We place enormous value on diversity and inclusion regarding gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, age, education, disability, disciplines, and skillsets. We believe that the best ideas emerge when people with different perspectives and approaches work together on a problem. We want our team to feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and sharing their most creative ideas.
How to apply
Please apply on AngelList using the button below or email directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job please visit angel.co.