Founded in May 2015, Papier is a London based start-up, which has raised ~£15 million since launch and is one of the fastest growing start-ups in the UK. We recently placed 8th on LinkedIn’s Top 15 UK Startups. Papier’s collection of stationery products, from notebooks & diaries to notecards and wedding invitations, is designed to feed curiosity and contemplation, to invite people to uncover the possibility of a blank page.
What’s the job?
We are now looking for a talented Backend Developer to join our Tech team and help Papier achieve our mission to inspire people to connect with each other more often and in more meaningful ways.
Reporting into our Engineering Manager, day to day you will be working with the entire tech team on projects across all parts of the business. We are looking for a self-motivated individual, who is keen to learn new things and is ready to work in a fun, fast-moving, entrepreneurial environment.
What will you do?
- Creating and maintaining features of the website and supporting services
- Reviewing code and giving feedback to other engineers
- Maintaining and improving our CI and deployment pipeline
- Architecture decisions – we want you to be opinionated on how we build our applications
- Infrastructure decisions – the site is projected to grow significantly over the coming years, we want you to help us prepare
- Scoping out projects and establishing requirements. As a product focused company all our engineers have a say in what we should be doing and what takes priority
- Performance analysis – we set ambitious goals for site performance and regularly seek areas for improvement
We don’t expect you to meet all these requirements, but see below some of the skills we are looking for within our new Backend Developer:
- Proven professional experience writing Ruby code, preferably with Rails
- An advocate for good development practices, taking pride in writing beautiful and well-tested code
- A good understanding of software architecture principles
- Previous eCommerce experience is a plus
- Experience with relational databases (PostgreSQL) and key-value stores (Redis)
- Experience using automated testing frameworks (eg. RSpec)
- Experience using AWS services: S3, SES, Lambda, APIGateway
- Other pluses: Heroku, Elasticsearch, Vue.js, GraphQL
What you’ll get:
- A seat at Maison Papier, our lovely Camden office (hybrid working pattern of 2 days p/week in the office)
- 25 days annual leave per year + the ability to buy an extra 5 days
- 20 days per year to Work from Anywhere
- Private medical and rewards scheme with Vitality Health
- 50% off gym memberships with Virgin Active, Pure Gym and more
- Enrolment into the Papier Pension
- Enhanced parental leave policies
- Cycle to work loan scheme
- £40 per month cultural allowance to spend on anything inspiring!
- £75 personal stationery allowance, and £150 to spend on our Occasion stationery for a lifetime special event
- Generous staff discount
- 2 days paid per year to volunteer on a cause you care about
- Access to mental health & wellbeing resources
- Weekly team lunches & regular cultural trips
- Dog-friendly office
- Friendly and fantastic team!
To apply for this job email your details to Liam@papier.com.