We’re Simply Business, one of the UK’s largest business insurance and landlord insurance providers. We make buying insurance as simple as possible for our customers, introducing the choice and value that we think they deserve.
We do this through technology, fast and supportive customer service, and by harnessing the power of data. And part of our mission is to enable big dreams – not just for our customers, but for our people and communities, too. So, who are we looking for?
We’re looking for a Staff Engineer to join the Engineering team in London.
At a glance, here’s what you’ll be doing:
– developing customer focused products in a culture which champions Agile, cross functional teams and continuous collaboration
A diverse group of customers and employees
Since we started life in 2005, we’ve helped over three million small businesses, self-employed people and landlords find the protection that’s right for them, from builders to bakers and personal trainers. Our employees are a diverse bunch, too, and we have over 700 employees across three offices in the UK and the US. If you think this sounds like the place and job for you, here’s some more about what you’ll be doing.
As a Staff Engineer you will:
– providing technical leadership to influence and drive best practices and technical excellence within your teams and the wider organisation
– being hands-on in developing our products using best practices, appropriate tools, and technologies
– working with other teams to resolve difficult technical implications that affect their projects
– collaborate with our engineering leads to define the long term tech strategy for our front-end platform
– drive UI architecture that optimises for usability, performance and speed
– represent your area, and potentially lead, Communities-of-Practice/forums for target architecture and tech excellence in the company
More about who we’re looking for:
– direct experience architecting and developing scalable web applications with modern JS frameworks (React, Angular, web components) and tools (Webpack, etc)
– familiarity with at least two programming paradigms, with the ability to mentor others in their use
– familiarity with back-end technologies (NodeJS, Java, Ruby, or similar)
– a passion for UI, UX, and design systems, and working with designers to create engaging and intuitive experiences
– comfortable working on the server-side and collaborating with back-end teams
– working knowledge of web performance and optimisation techniques
– ability to define a technical vision that you can share, and get other tech team members to contribute to
– a willingness to challenge us
– we love people who aren’t afraid to ask questions and help us improve
What are the benefits?
- private medical insurance
- an extra day off if you get married or move house
- an employer-matched pension
- flexible reward scheme, allowing you to pick what’s important to you; from extra holiday to gym members
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion
Simply Business is, and always will be, committed to diversity and inclusion. We aim to foster an empowering and equal working environment, identifying the best possible talent from all backgrounds. What’s more, we encourage all of our employees to bring their authentic selves to work.
A brief update on Covid-19 (coronavirus)
Simply Business is well prepared to deal with unprecedented events. We’re an agile business by nature – and our hiring and interview process is no exception. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, some parts of our hiring process may take a little longer than usual. Please bear with us, and rest assured that we’re happy to hear from you and receive your application.
If it looks like you could be a good fit for the role, we’ll ask you to interview on Zoom – you’ll need WiFi and a laptop, or a 4G-enabled smartphone.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.