Website Tesco Technology
About the Tesco Technology – Store Operations Platform
We are in process of simplifying our store operations technology landscape that will help drive optimization in multiple sub-domains and open future opportunities for us to innovate and create solutions that will help drive digital transformation and make our stores more connected. To achieve this, we are making investments in next-generation technologies that will serve as main drivers for Store Operations Platform through investments in
- Store Network
- Store video infrastructure
- Computer Vision Platform
- Device Management
The objective will be to drive
- Operational Efficiency
- Explore opportunities in robotics
- Achieve sensor data fusion through IoT
Our aim is to solve some of the hardest problems in Retail related to shrink, safety and security in a scalable and cost-effective manner.
As a senior technical expert, I am a thought leader for large and complex areas. I set technical direction to translate strategy into action, making a significant impact to the organization. I lead the design, implementation, and delivery of software that shapes products and technologies. I use my depth of skill and experience to enable multiple teams around me to deliver excellent software quickly.
As a Principal Software Development Engineer, you are key in shaping large parts of Tesco’s technical landscape. You contribute to strategic planning, combining business vision and industry best practices to define technical strategy and make decisions. You typically work across multiple teams, setting the standard for engineering excellence and efficient technical design. You are hands-on and guide teams to improve technology across product portfolios, infrastructure, and processes.
You will be responsible for
In this role you will;
Guide Large Programmes of Work
- Show perseverance and patience in driving large, complex, or difficult initiatives from inception to completion, working with and influencing the engineering, product, programme, and business teams in Tesco
- Convert ambiguous and complex business problems into simple technical solutions.
Influence build vs buy decisions, deprecate creaking software/applications, lead significant refactoring. I make the right trade-offs to influence the roadmap and sequencing of work to deliver early and often.
- Get hands on with design and coding to resolve hard problems that have a long-term impact on a product or technology implementation
Drive one or more areas
- Guide one or more areas and define the strategic design keeping security, scalability, extensibility, and reusability in mind
- Contribute to Tesco’s Inner Source Platform, acting as maintainer or contributor to one or more projects, whilst influencing direction and driving adoption.
- Have great communication and influencing skills to resolve disputes and to lead stakeholders to appropriate decisions with data points and foresight.
- Have sufficient breadth and depth of technical knowledge to influence senior leaders on engineering strategy
- Write critical path code, having a good appreciation of the whole stack and SDLC using continuous deployment pipelines, cloud infrastructure automation, monitoring and alerting with an agile DevOps mind-set.
- Create strategy documents, designs and code which are exemplary and serve as a role model to fellow PSDEs and SDEs.
- Innovate and keep abreast of industry trends and competition, grasping new paradigms and languages quickly
- Routinely come up with Proof of Concept (PoC) to evaluate approaches or technology choices to enable or accelerate programmes.
- Guide SDEs in one or more functional areas, under one or more Head of Software Development (HoSD) / Directors or under a distinct functional area such as Azure, Eventing, Store applications or Data engineering.
- Set up knowledge transfer sessions on specific areas or practices
- Lead constructive code and design reviews, probing assumptions, highlighting risks, and leaving behind better quality repositories.
- Contribute to the development of SDEs, ensuring that they reach their full potential
Help with Organizational Goals
- Help with hiring both engineering ICs and Managers
- Calibrate assessors and strengthen the assessment process for Tesco
- Raise the bar for coding and design to ensure it is high and keeps going up as best practice and expectations evolve
Key people and teams I work within and outside of Tesco
- Product Managers, Engineers, Technical Programme Managers & Members from wider engineering community
People, budgets, and other resources I am accountable for in my job
- No direct line management responsibility
You will need
Skills relevant for the job:
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Problem solving, analysis and computational skills
- Ability to do boilerplate and proof-of-concept programming
- Expertise in hybrid-cloud [ preferably Azure], Edge design patterns
- Expertise in Retail Platform and Physical Store Digital Transformation
- Innovative approach to problem solving
- Customer focus
Experience relevant for this job
- Experience of best practice methodologies
- Experience in one or more programming languages
- Experience in People & Team management
What’s in it for you
- An annual bonus scheme which you can achieve up to 15% of base salary
- Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 6 months service with 10% off most purchases at Tesco
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day
- A retirement savings plan – 4%-7.5% contribution rate
- Life Assurance – 5 x contractual pay
- Buy As You Earn Scheme which allows you to buy Tesco shares and save tax after 3 months of service
- Save As You Earn Scheme which gives you the opportunity to save direct from your pay for three or five years with the option of using your savings to buy Tesco shares at a discounted price after 1 year of service
- Access to Tesco Learning and Development Academy, Safari Books https://www.safaribooksonline.com and Pluralsight Technology Learning Platform https://www.pluralsight.com
- Deals & Discounts through Tesco including Tesco Mobile & Tesco Bank
- Deals and Discounts through many other external businesses
- Cycle to work and Car Share Schemes
To apply for this job email your details to Frazer.Smith2@tesco.com.