Website Tesco Technology
What’s in it for you
- An annual bonus scheme which you can achieve up to 15% of base salary
- Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 6 months service with 10% off most purchases at Tesco
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day
- A retirement savings plan – 4%-7.5% contribution rate
- Life Assurance – 5 x contractual pay
- Buy As You Earn Scheme which allows you to buy Tesco shares and save tax after 3 months of service
- Save As You Earn Scheme which gives you the opportunity to save direct from your pay for three or five years with the option of using your savings to buy Tesco shares at a discounted price after 1 year of service
- Access to Tesco Learning and Development Academy, Safari Books https://www.safaribooksonline.com and Pluralsight Technology Learning Platform https://www.pluralsight.com
- Deals & Discounts through Tesco including Tesco Mobile & Tesco Bank
- Deals and Discounts through many other external businesses
- Cycle to work and Car Share Schemes
About the role
The engineers in our Search & Recommendations team build the APIs that ensure that the results of our customer searches on all of our platforms are accurate and relevant, and the work you can do in the domain will go beyond the usual duties of a backend engineer. Apart from being exposed to cutting edge cloud and server-side technologies, you will work closely with data science teams, applying models and algorithms to improve the engine behind the services, helping users to discover the products they really want – and all of this happening in a handful of milliseconds! This is a fantastic opportunity to work in a domain where small changes lifting the performance of the APIs have a huge impact, both for customers but also in terms of £millions of annualised revenue for Tesco.
- Java 11
- Kubernetes & Docker
We are responsible for the software throughout the lifecycle. We maintain a DevOps culture employing continuous integration and delivery, supporting our code through to production and beyond.
You will be responsible for
- Using in-depth knowledge of at least one major programming language, the framework, and the tool ecosystem to implement end-to-end systems without assistance.
- Translating requirements into tasks & code.
- Producing test-driven features and demonstrating your familiarity with the TDD cycle.
- Applying your understanding of cohesion and the SOLID principles to create well structured, maintainable software.
- Working with product teams to communicate and translate needs into product improvements.
- Leading group discussions on system design and architecture.
- Supporting production systems, resolving incidents, and performing root cause analysis.
- Sharing knowledge with the wider engineering community.
- Mentoring and developing others around you.
- Producing proof of concepts to evaluate new tools.
You will need
- Commercial experience developing in Java and ability to deliver with little to no supervision.
- Experience with Java 8+
- Experience with cloud platforms (e.g. Azure, AWS, etc.).
- Experience with both SQL & NoSQL databases.
- Experience with Microservices (vert.x, Micronaut).
- Experience with Kubernetes and Docker.
- Experience scaling and building low-latency systems
- Experience working with multiple software development methodologies including Scrum & Kanban
- Experience with eCommerce and search systems would be a nice to have but isn’t vital.
- Experience with reactive programming is considered a plus.
Our vision here at Tesco is to become every customer’s favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is ‘Serving Britain’s shoppers a little better every day’. Our business was built with a simple mission – to be the champion for customers, helping them to enjoy a better quality of life and an easier way of living. This hasn’t changed. Customers want great products at great value which they can buy easily and it’s our job to deliver this in the right way for them. In the UK, we serve some 66 shoppers every second, so it’s our goal to ensure every one of those customers experiences just a little better service on each visit.
At Tesco, inclusion means that Everyone’s Welcome. Everyone is treated fairly and with respect; by valuing individuality and uniqueness we create a sense of belonging.
Diversity and inclusion have always been at the heart of Tesco. It is embedded in our values: we treat people how they want to be treated. We always want our colleagues to feel they can be themselves at work and we are committed to helping them be at their best.
Across the Tesco Group we are building an inclusive workplace, a place to actively celebrate the cultures, personalities and preferences of our colleagues – who in turn help to build the success of our business and reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.
To apply for this job email your details to Frazer.Smith2@tesco.com.